At the Acrosstown Repertory Theatre
3501 SW 2nd Ave, Suite O, Gainesville, FL 32607
Sunday & Monday, October 15 & 16, at 7:00 pm at the theater
By William Shakespeare
Directed by Rikki Baynard
Performance dates: December 1 – 17, 2023, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, and Sundays at 2pm.
When shipwrecked twins become masters of disguise, love and deception take center stage in William Shakespeare’s riotous romantic comedy Twelfth Night, or What You Will.
Characters being cast:
- VIOLA: a young woman who is shipwrecked on the shores of Illyria. She disguises herself as a young man called Cesario and goes to work for Orsino.
- OLIVIA: a wealthy heiress in Illyria. Her father and brother have recently died.
- ORSINO: a duke and the governor of Illyria. He is in love with Olivia even though she is not interested in him.
- SIR TOBY BELCH: related to Olivia. He is often drunk and enjoys playing tricks on people.
- MALVOLIO: Olivia’s steward, the manager of her household. He dislikes Sir Toby’s drunken behavior and dreams of marrying Olivia.
- SIR ANDREW: staying with his friend Sir Toby and hopes to marry Olivia. He has a lot of money.
- MARIA: Olivia’s maid. She looks out for Sir Toby and likes to impress him.
- FESTE: Olivia’s jester, or fool. He also sometimes works for Orsino.
- SEBASTIAN: Viola’s twin brother. He was rescued from the shipwreck by Antonio and he thinks his sister drowned at sea.
- ANTONIO: a sea captain. He rescued Sebastian from the shipwreck and follows him when they arrive in Illyria.
- CAPTAIN, PRIEST, and Others
Please prepare a memorized 1 minute Classical monologue or sonnet.
Here is a site to get you started on your monologue search.
Video auditions are accepted and must be received by 7:00 pm on October 16th. Please email your monologue to the director firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also seeking all sorts of backstage personnel!
Ages and genders are flexible, at the discretion of the director. Auditioners must be 18 or older. All races, colors, sizes, genders, gender-identities and experience levels welcome! Some actors may play multiple roles. Although this IS an audition, we’re not judgmental, and we hope you feel welcome here and have a great time. If cast, you will be compensated by the roar of applause and the joy of being part of the Acrosstown family.
About the ART:
Founded in 1980, the ART develops new talent, plays, audiences and ideas while also celebrating and revivifying the great plays of the past. The ART provides a safe place where people of all ages, genders, races, and beliefs can create unsafe theater– thinking people’s theatre– theater that transforms.
We continually respect, and challenge:
- ourselves as actors, designers, artists and visionaries to achieve more,
- our audiences as living, thinking and feeling human beings to engage more,
- other local theaters and arts organizations to collaborate more,
…and by doing so, help nurture and develop Gainesville, Florida into the center of arts and culture in North Central Florida.
As a 501c3 non-profit organization, the ART is especially dedicated to providing multi-cultural opportunities to the members of our community. The theater is open to all and presents experiences for which there are no other venues in the area. It is also entirely volunteer-staffed and operated.